The leather is so easy and simple to spot clean. Keeping your leather shoes clean and looking their best is not as daunting as it seems. The real secret behind it is gentle stain removal and proper care. When you are cleaning unfinished leather, it is crucial to utilize a specialized saddle soap, instead of improvising with other unreliable cleaners. Make sure that you read the label of the product of your choice to make sure that you use it effectively and safely.
Many people think that maintaining and cleaning their pair of leather shoes can be intimidating, but it is actually a lot quicker and easier than you might think. With the following tips, you can find really easy and efficient ways of keeping your leather shoes clean.
- Using a soft brush or cloth, eliminate any debris and dirt. Do this every time you wear your shows to make it easier to polish and buff later.
- Make sure to remove the laces from your leather shoes to avoid getting polish or water on them.
- Rub away any scuffs with saddle soap and water on a soft cloth, but be careful not to get the material soaked. It’s a good idea to do two application with less soap and water. You may also use a leather shoe cleaner that can be purchased in many shoe retailers.
- Eliminate salt stains from your leather shoes by combining a solution of equal amounts of white vinegar and water. Blot the solution all over your shoes using a soft cloth and repeat the application until the salt is gone.
- To care for your leather shoes, polish them at least once every month or when needed. Before you start polishing, lay newspaper over the working space to make it easier for you to clean up the area. Test the polish on any inconspicuous area to ensure that it doesn’t cause discoloration. Use a clean cloth when applying the polish. Do this in a circulation direction across the show. After application, get another clean cloth and eliminate the polish.
- When they have dried, buff your leather shoes with the use of a soft cloth in circular motions. For a shinier look, put a couple of drops of water on the cloth before shining.
- It is best to use a leather lotion or conditioner at least two times a year to keep your leather shoes supple and soft. Without such treatment, cracks may appear and your shoes may dry out.
If you have leather shoes, it should not be oversaturated, as it can cause marks or waterlines. Therefore, it is always best to spot clean your shoes rather than giving it an overall wash. It is always advisable to add a protective layer to a finished leather item after you clean it. A commercial leather protector or an olive oil can work.
Make sure to lest any cleaning solution before use to make sure that it doesn’t damage your leather shoes. Dry it naturally and store it in the open to let the leather material to breathe.